Tags

Friday, February 11, 2011

Equilibrium (2002, Kurt Wimmer)

 In a very near future when any kindof feeling is considered as a crime and any form of art (books, music, paintings), first class grammaton cleric (high rank law enforcement agent) John Preston (Christian Bale) allies with sense offenders to overthrow the regime.

It would be nice to live in a world without anger, sorrow, jealousy but is a life without feeling worth living? When I saw those emotionless faces, no « human » family relationship, those people lining up which remind me of Fritz Lang’s Metropolis. They go to the same direction, do the same thing and above all, have no interest in anything. Could you imagine for a second a life without any form of arts: no music, no movies, nothing except martial arts (lol). Futuristic movies are most of the time over the top but this one really made me think. It was so frightening and real that I feel lucky with the life I have. 


 Metropolis

THIS PART MAY CONTAIN SPOILER
The actions and the fight scenes present some similarities to the Matrix. Grammaton clerics move very fast due to the high standard trainings they have. The gunshots look so spectacular to me. There is no suspense and the hero beats everyone including "father, the bad guy" so easily. 

Memorable quote
Robbie: I saw Robbie Taylor crying today. He didn't know but I saw. Do you think I should report him?
John: Unquestionably 

Christian Bale as Grammaton Cleric John Preston in Equilibrium

No comments:

Post a Comment