Tags

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Drive (2011, Nicolas Winding Refn)

The "man with no name" hero (he is called Driver) is a quiet man who lives peacefully as a stuntman, professional driver, garage mechanic in LA. He becomes the main target of a powerful group of criminals after an unsuccessful heist.
I remember the Nicolas Winding Refn was there with us when watching the premiere. His words before the movie started: “it has violence, it has action, it has humour, it has romance, it has pursuits…and french pop music, enjoy”!!! Except perhaps from the french pop music (I left just before the ending credits), he was right. Thing is, the movie is not exactly what it looks like in the trailer (remember Valhalla Rising?) so if you expect speed action sequences, you’re advised to go elsewhere. It starts with a car pursuit followed by rather quiet moments full of humour and romance before getting back to. Unlike in big action flicks, the story goes slowly and contains no surprise. Drive is however a very pleasant movie with a peculiar style, plus the chemistry between Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan believable. Warning: the movie contains gory violence scenes, Dexter would have been happy.
 
The Drive french poster

Memorable quote: “You give me a time and a place, I give you five minute window, anything happens in that five minutes and I’m yours, no matter what, I don’t sit in while you’re running it down, I don’t carry a gun, I drive”.

No comments:

Post a Comment