Tags

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Warrior (2011, Gavin O’Connor)

Tommy (Tom Hardy), an ex soldier comes back home and asks his dad to train him for ‘Sparta’, the biggest mixed martial art tournament in the world. Meanwhile, his older brother Brendan (Joel Edgerton) is trying hard to make ends meet. When Brendan’s home is close to foreclosure, he’s got only one solution: go back to the cage and fight.   


Heartbreaking and breathtaking. These are the two words that come into my mind right now to describe what I think about this movie. When I went to see it, I didn't expect much: just another “Fighter” flick, I said to myself but no…Warrior is way better. I admit that from a technical point of view, there might be some inconsistencies as far as the fight scenes are concerned (it's often the case). This is not the point though. The story brings us to a broken family from which each member tries to make his own path: the little brother fights to honour a dead friend, the older one fights for his family and the father, a former alcohol-addict, seeks forgiveness from his sons. The plot seems so real that sometimes one forgets it is "just" a movie.  The actors deliver amazing performances: Nick Nolte has nothing to prove. Tom Hardy is the star of the movie and it is not a surprise that he’s becoming Hollywood new prince. Tommy is exactly that angry young man, full of hatred and resentment but who still has a big heart deep inside. However, while watching the movie, my attention was drawn to Joel Edgerton’s character, Brendan, probably because he is the good guy and he deserved to win, etc. But he was terrific. Edgerton (King Arthur, Animal Kingdom) also deserves more credits and recognition for his works. I am glad to know he is offered bigger roles in huge projects (he will be working with Kathryn Bigelow in "Kill Bin Laden"). For now, I cannot wait to see the "Thing" prequel.

To sum it up, you don’t have to be a martial art fan to like Warrior. So don't even thing twice, goo see it!!!.

Memorable quotes

Brendan: That's Tess. And that's Emily and Rosie. They're your nieces, Tommy.
Tommy: Don't know 'em.
Brendan: I know you don't know them. Of course you don't know them.
Tommy: Why am I looking at pictures of people I don't know?
Brendan: Because that's my family.
Tommy: And who are you exactly?
Brendan:: I'm your brother, man.
Tommy: You were in the Corps?
Brendan:: What?
Tommy:: I said I didn't know you were in the Corps.
Brendan:: I wasn't in the Corps.
Tommy: Then you ain't no brother to me. My brother was in the Corps.    

No comments:

Post a Comment