Tags

Friday, June 15, 2012

The Angels’ Share (2012, Ken Loach)

Glasgow: Narrowly avoiding jail, new dad Robbie vows to turn over a new leaf. A visit to a whisky distillery inspires him and his mates to seek a way out of their hopeless lives. (Source: Imdb).

I must confess: I have not seen any film of Ken Loach before even though I wanted to on several occasion. So when he came here (Paris), I seized the opportunity to (finally) see the man and enjoy his work. And I did. This film is truly wonderful and yet I believe it is not his best. The Angels’ Share narrates the daily struggle of former offenders to have a new start in life. Robbie (Paul Brannigan), the main character decides to face his demons to be a better person. Bye bye violence, booze here we go…The actors’ ability to carry the story was very impressive and their performances were so natural and flawless. Add to that some beautiful landscapes of the scottish Highlands and the presence of Roger Allam and you will get one of the best british film of the year.

If you take a look at the video above, in the end, Ken Loach said: ‘If you enjoy the film, please tell your friends’, so my friends, I am telling you, GO !!   

No comments:

Post a Comment