Tags

Monday, March 7, 2011

Amadeus (1984, Milos Forman – Director’s Cut)

A story based on the life of Wolfgang A. Mozart told by Italian composer Antonio Salieri. Vienna, 18th century : Salieri was a respected court composer working for the Emperor of Austria. Everything changed with the arrival of a young and talented composer for whom he has a big amiration and at the same time a growing feeling of jealousy. The whole movie runs with a flash back as a very old Salieri tells the story about him and Mozart to a priest in an asylum. 

I already saw this film years ago but as I was too young and stupid to understand then, I dedided to take a couple of hours to spend on it. And I had no regrets. I have no particular interest in classical music but this movie was so moving and entertaining. The way Salieri tells the story made me understand the way he feels: from what I’ve seen, he is a dedicated and hard-working, average musician, still smart and cunning (F. Murray Abraham is one of the greatest actors of all time, along with Geoffrey Rush...Australian actors rock. On the other side, there is a magnificent, talented and arrogant composer who is naive and very often acts like a child (I like the way he laughs).

The movie also shows some extracts from Mozart’s works, among of which I recognized that famous Dies Irae (Day of Wrath) sequence…Simply beautiful.  

Amadeus won eight oscars including the best actor in a leading role. It’s weird to nominate two actors (F. Murray Abraham and Tom Hulce are both the lead actors) from the same movie in the same category. This time, the prize goes to F. Murray Abraham. 


Memorable quote
Mozart (to the emperor): I’m a vulgar man but I assure you my music is not

No comments:

Post a Comment